If you are currently a top rated eBay seller or hoping to achieve this status, the program is about to change. The Spring Seller newsletter indicates the following:
Updates are coming to the eBay Top-rated seller program to keep it in step with evolving e-commerce standards.
- Starting in June, Top-rated sellers will need to have tracking information uploaded to eBay within their stated handling time on 90% or more of their transactions with US buyers.
- As of June 1, the 20% final value fee discount and greatest on average boost in Best Match will go to those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 1-day handling and a minimum 14-day return policy with a money-back refund window.
- Yourlistings without these two services will still have the Top-rated seller badge and some boost in Best Match but will not earn the discounts or the highest average boost in Best Match. Since these updates were announced, many sellers have added these services and are already seeing the benefits!
Also note, eBay has retired some of their “return” options, click here to review.
My personal thoughts…
Updating tracking information is done immediately when I package a product (and I ship within 24 hours of receiving payment), so that is not a concern.
The part I am personally struggling with is the 14-day return policy with a money-back refund window. As a seller, I typically only taken returns on a case-by-case basis. Usually, a potential buyer and I work out details prior to the sale (so there are no surprises if/when the item is returned). Selling predominantly high-end fashion merchandise, I worry about condition (I expect items to be free of odors, tags attached, in unused condition, not wrinkled, etc.). I am meticulous when it comes to my eBay room and making sure my merchandise is in pristine condition and expect the same of the item upon return.
I have not made the decision yet as to whether or not I will choose to accept returns, but these are the return policy parameters I am contemplating.
Approximate measurements are provided and I highly encourage prospective buyers to review these before purchasing. If you need additional measurements, please send a message. I am happy to provide additional measurements.
I will accept a return if clothing does not fit as long as the following 6 terms are agreed to by the buyer:
- Upon returning, tags are attached and clothing is in the same pristine condition.
- Buyer pays return shipping charges AND provides a tracking number.
- Buyer agrees to cancel the eBay transaction so all seller fees are reimbursed.
- Merchandise is returned clean and free of odors (e.g. smoke, pets, cologne, deodorant, etc.).
- Returns are shipped back to seller within 14 days of receipt.
- Buyer will be refunded via PayPal once item is returned to seller MINUS A 10% RESTOCKING FEE.
What are your thoughts on these new changes? If you are a Top Rated seller, will you change your policies?