My sister-in-law shared photos from her recent trip to Orlando and as I was viewing them, I couldn’t believe what I saw. I should not be this out of shape, my son is already a year old. As I mentioned in a previous post, I gained a LOT of weight while pregnant. The first 50 lbs rolled off easily thanks to breast feeding and Weight Watchers, but now I am just stuck. In addition, my body has changed shapes which hasn’t been helpful either.
I know what it takes to lose weight, but I just cannot seem to get focused. I love food and wine way too much and it kills me to think about giving either up. I was alcohol and caffeine free for almost two years while pregnant and breast feeding my son, so I have been living life to the fullest lately. Anyway, I thought I’d make a handy little list to remind myself and perhaps other moms who are in a similar situation.
- Losing weight takes time and dedication. Being healthy requires lifestyle adjustments, there are no quick fixes.
- Exercise is a requirement for melting pounds off. Stop making excuses and put tennis shoes on NOW!
- Drink lots of water and do not starve yourself. Make smarter food choices and stay hydrated.
- Diet pills are not safe. Regardless if the product claims to be “all natural”, stay away from them!
- Exercise with a friend. Having a buddy to workout with is a great way to stay motivated.
- A gym is not required. Walking is a terrific way to get moving! You can also access free exercise videos online. Google is an amazing tool!
- Forget what you see in magazines and on television! Celebrities that lose weight immediately after giving birth have a completely different lifestyle. If we had a 24/7 nanny, trainer, chef, maid, and plastic surgeon then we would look like Barbie too.
- Set realistic, achievable goals. Weight loss takes time so do not get discouraged if you do not lose 10 lbs in the first week. When you reach your first milestone, treat yourself to a pedicure or something nice.
- Don’t cold turkey everything. Remember, moderation is key. Do not deprive yourself because you will end up regretting it when you finally give in to a craving.
- Track your progress. FitDay is a free online diet and weight loss journal. Obviously, there are other online sites that cost money, but in these economical times we can all use a free resource.
- Fad diets do not work. Let’s see, there was the grapefruit, cabbage soup, South Beach, Atkins, and Hollywood diets. These are just a few of the ridiculous fad diets that come to mind. We all know what it takes to lose weight (eating right and working out).
Now I think I’m ready to continue my journey, I just needed to re-motivate myself. But, I think I’ll enjoy more wine and cheese tonight before I get started. Perhaps the skinny fairy will visit me tonight and this will all be forgotten.
What has been your best method for losing weight? Did you try any of the fad diets mentioned above? Any advice for a mom trying to get her figure back? I am anxious to read your comments!
Don’t forget to bookmark The Unemployed Mom! Thanks for visiting!