For day 17 of #30DaysOfCaring, the focus is on Girls On The Run. This organization inspires girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
Girls on the Run is a transformational physical activity based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. They teach life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness.
Girls On The Run envisions a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Core Values: Girls on the Run honors its core values. and strives to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others
How can you get involved?
Find your local Girls On The Run council and volunteer for the following:
- Motivate and inspire as head and assistant coaches
- Help with planning and staffing events
- Serve on a committee (fundraising, outreach, event planning)
- Be a “running buddy” to cheer on girls at the 5K
You can also donate, start a council, become a partner, be part of the solemates program, etc. Follow Girls On The Run on Facebook and Twitter for additional information.