WITNESS ARTISANS IN ACTION AT GAYLORD PALMS RESORT
Get up close to watch Artisans carve ice sculptures for ICE! featuring Frosty the Snowman™ in the Frostbite Factory – a live ice-carving zone
KISSIMMEE, Fla.—( November 21, 2013 ) How does a 9-degree ice attraction come to life in sunny Florida? Beginning November 23, catch a glimpse of the calculated craftsmanship that goes into creating ICE! featuring Frosty the Snowman™ at Gaylord Palms Resort. For the first time, guests are invited to enter the Frostbite Factory – a live ice-carving zone – showcasing Artisans in Action.
“We’re thrilled to introduce the Frostbite Factory featuring our live, Artisans in Action carving zone to the ICE! attraction at Gaylord Palms this year,” said Warren Lyng, director of brand special events for Gaylord Hotels. “We were looking to take our ICE! attraction to the next level and partnered with designers Hotopp Associates to create a more fun, educational and immersive experience for our guests.”
Artisans in Action
Visit the live ice-carving zone during all hours the ICE! attraction is open. The Frostbite Factory features an artisan carving a square block of ice into one of three sculptures from the attraction: a Christmas train, a teddy bear and some traditional Chinese dragons. Guests are also given the option to make reservations for a VIP tour in which a translator is present with the artisan to answer specific questions.
About the Artisans
From an incredible land of ice and snow halfway around the world, a remarkably talented team of 40 artisans journey to Central Florida to carve 2 million pounds of ice. Our troupe of ice-loving artisans hails from the city of Harbin, China, home of the annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival, the largest ice and snow festival in the world.
- Four different artisans will rotate hour shifts in the carving room. They’ll be handling maintenance items for the attraction as well. Two construction team members are also present in the room, preparing ice for carving and cleaning to ensure a safe environment for guests as the artisan works.
- During the 44-day run, 60 percent of the attraction will be replaced.
- 1.5 truckloads of ice (176, 300-pound blocks of ice, or 26.4 tons) will be used for the carving room.
- The 12 vignettes of ICE! are created using a special “recipe” of ice that arrives in approximately 36 truckloads over a three-week period (two trucks a day for 15 days). Large blocks of ice are delivered on pallets via refrigerated tractor-trailers, and then moved into place by forklift.
- Three different types of ice comprise the ICE! attraction: clear, “crystal” ice; white ice; and colored ice.
- 14 different colors (including clear) are used to create 10 scenes of ICE!
- At 9 degrees cold, ordinary water freezes quickly, adhering one piece to another and forming a solid bond. After slicing a piece of ice from a larger block, an artisan sprinkles the surface to be bonded with “snow.” He carefully pours water onto the piece and then lifts it into position.
- The tallest sculpture (21 feet to the top!) is the moon on top of one of the slides.
Don’t take our word for it. Join Frosty the Snowman™ and his friends at this year’s ICE! featuring Frosty the Snowman in a colorfully frozen retelling of the original holiday classic. Slide down four different two-story ice slides, and then witness the all-new Artisans in Action before enjoying hot cocoa and capturing holiday memories with a keepsake photograph with Santa, or building gingerbread houses with Gingy!
Don’t miss all the Christmas activities and spectacular live entertainment – including the spirited Luminescence show – that Gaylord Palms has to offer. Always a fan-favorite, the famous 54-foot-tall majestic Christmas tree comes to life in a magnificent tree-lighting ceremony on the Emerald Plaza stage in the St. Augustine atrium. Dripping with poinsettias, lavish holiday displays and millions of twinkling lights, the resort is sure to warm up your stay.
What to Wear
Parkas are provided, but guests are encouraged to wear hats, gloves, warm socks and other cold-weather accessories to walk through the ICE! attraction. Close-toed shoes are required for entry.
ICE! featuring Frosty the Snowman is open daily from Nov. 23, 2013 to Jan. 5, 2014, including holidays. To purchase tickets and to see a full schedule of activities and events, go to www.ChristmasAtGaylordPalms.com.
Gaylord Palms Resort is located five minutes from the gates of Walt Disney World at 6000 W. Osceola Parkway, Kissimmee, FL 34746.