This year, my husband and I decided not to exchange gifts, but instead use that money to help people in need. We selected a wish list for a 17 year old young man that lives in the Central Florida Children’s Home and have been making his wishes come true.
I already shared “Children are the new face of hunger in America” and how Orlando is #2 in the nation with starving kids. There are so many local families that could use assistance, so I wanted to share information about “Share Your Christmas” food drive. WESH 2 and CW18 are joining the Salvation Army and Second Harvest Food Bank to collect food for the needy in and around Central Florida.
Here are the drop-off locations, where WESH 2 and CW18 will be broadcasting live during the morning and noon newscasts.
- Dec. 7: Sunshine Park Shopping Center, 2400 S. Ridgewood Ave., Daytona Beach
- Dec. 8: Post Commons Shopping Center, 4100 N Wickham Road, Melbourne
- Dec. 9: Forty East Shopping Center, 3450 E. Silver Springs Blvd., Ocala
- Dec. 10: Palm Springs Crossing, 482 E. Altamonte Drive, Altamonte Springs
- Dec. 11: Big Lots Plaza, 923 N. 14th St., Leesburg; WESH 2-CW18 Studios, 1021 N. Wymore Road, Winter Park
Alternatively, you can donate to Share Your Christmas with your credit card, by visiting the online donation center.
If you cannot drop food off on the above dates, click here for organization contact information and to schedule a pick-up.
If you are a coupon clipper, use your money saving skills and grab some freebies for the needy! Also, our local Publix has weekly buy one get one free offers. If you cannot use both items, donate the other one! These little acts will make a big difference!
Also, please remember to help year round! Since Christmas is the season of giving, many people find it in their hearts to help during this time of year. But, people are hungry 12 months out of the year and not just during the holiday season.