On June 1, I decided to stop complaining about my post pregnancy body and start focusing on getting back into shape. I blogged about my 30 Day Shred success at the end of June and haven’t really mentioned it since. Well, I am happy to report that I have remained dedicated over these past 3 months and so far have dropped a total of 18 pounds and my body mass index (BMI) is back in the healthy range! I am comfortably back into my pre-pregnancy clothing and I actually enjoy working out every day.
I have been capturing some of my thoughts along the way for your reading pleasure.
- For the first couple of days, I thought my insides were going to explode. My body was like WTF is going on, where are the chips!?!? The fiber in all the healthy foods made me feel miserable. I guess this is what my son felt like when I’d eat vegetables and breast feed him!
- Healthy foods can be delicious and enjoyable. Trying new recipes has helped tremendously. I do not like to eat the same thing over and over, I like variety. There are tons of healthy recipes online, just start searching!
- It’s easier when family is onboard with your weight loss journey. I couldn’t imagine making a fat dinner and a skinny one, so thanks to hubby for also agreeing to eat healthy.
- Wearing pre-pregnancy workout clothing is motivational! Lycra doesn’t hide flaws and seeing how my stomach looked made me work out that much harder! Obviously, I’d never wear these clothes in public…but they are perfect for working out in private.
- I am a night snacker so I had to quickly eliminate this habit. I began brushing my teeth and flossing right after dinner so I would be discouraged to eat.
- The Food Network is not the best choice for night time television viewing! It is complete torture and I do not recommend watching this channel! My mouth waters when I see the delicious foods the chefs are whipping up. I even drool over foods that I don’t really like!
- Stop eating out and quit purchasing processed foods. Stick to whole foods, lean meats and make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day. When you cook, you are aware of the ingredients used and you have control over how healthy they are! Also, watch your portions!
- Only eat when you are hungry not because you’re bored. Also, grazing throughout the day instead of eating large meals helps boost your metabolism.
- I understand why America is overweight! Have you noticed television networks play nothing but food commercials at night? Again, it is torture for someone who is trying to NOT think about food!
- Avoid temptations. Instead of having junk food in your house, stock up on fruits and vegetables. Also, replace white bread, rice and pastas with whole grain products.
Some may think 18 pounds is not a lot of weight to lose in 3 months but I am thrilled. I know I did it the healthy way without yo-yo dieting, starving myself or using diet pills. Also, the scale does not take into account the amount of inches lost (the way clothing fits is a great indicator)!
Ultimately, I have made lifestyle adjustments which include eating healthy and exercising regularly. I am pleased with Jillian Michaels’ videos (30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones, and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism) because they have toned my muscles and helped me lose 25 inches from my body. Of course, I still would like to lose more weight and inches (women are NEVER happy with their bodies) so I plan on continuing with my journey.
For those hoping to shed a few pounds, I hope I gave you some encouragement. The best advice I can offer for those trying to lose weight is to find what works for you and stick with it! Everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for another.
Thanks for visiting The Unemployed Mom!