Diapers…did you know one out of 3 families struggle to buy diapers to keep their infant or toddler clean, dry and healthy. For Day 7 of #30DaysOfCaring, I am bringing awareness to The National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN).
NDBN is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring that every baby in the United States can be clean, dry and healthy.
America’s babies are being shortchanged.
- With 5.8 million babies in the U.S. aged three or younger living in poor or low-income families.
- Disposable diapers costing up to $100 per month per baby, and diapers cannot be purchased through any government assistance program.
- One out of 3 families struggle to buy diapers.
- Without transportation, buying diapers at a convenience store rather than a large discount store can double or triple the monthly cost.
- For sanitary reasons, coin-operated laundromats often don’t allow customers to wash cloth diapers.
- Infants require up to 12 diapers per day, toddlers about eight.
- Diapers cannot be obtained with food stamps, and are classified with cigarettes, alcohol and pet food as disallowed purchases.
The consequences of diaper need are astonishing.
- Babies who remain too long in a soiled diaper are exposed to potential health risks.
- Most childcare centers, even free and subsidized facilities require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers.
- Cloth diapers are not accepted at the vast majority of child care centers.
- Many parents cannot go to work or school if they can’t leave their babies at child care.
How can YOU help?
- Host a diaper drive! This is a great community service project for your school, business, civic group, neighborhood or faith organization. Every package of diapers you collect and every dollar you raise will impact needy infants and toddlers.
- Become a corporate sponsor. Sponsorship levels vary as follows: Platinum, Gold, Silver & Bronze
- Check out their underwriting opportunities
- Sponsor a workplace diaper drive
- Individual donations (send to National Diaper Bank Network, 129 Church Street, Suite 611, New Haven, CT 06510)
- Print and use coupons
- Donate your Huggies Reward Points
- Select NDBN as your cause on Goodsearch
- Spread the word via social media using hashtag #DiaperNeed
The National Diaper Bank Network is a 501(c)(3) organization and donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.