IKEA is helping stop little tummies from grumbling with their new #IKEAFeedingTheFuture campaign. For every healthy kids meal purchased in July, IKEA will donate $1 towards the Feeding America® Child Hunger Programs and the fight to end childhood hunger. Those programs include Kids Cafe, Back Pack program, Summer food program, and the School Pantry program. IKEA donation up to a maximum of $50,000.
In the United States, more than 1 out of 5 children lives in a household with food insecurity, which means they do not always know where they will find their next meal. Summer months can be especially tough since millions of school-aged kids lose access to school breakfasts, lunches and after-school snacks they receive during the regular school year.
Hunger can impact anyone! Here are some incredible statistics from Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida (SHFBCF):
- 732,000 people needed food assistance last year (this is a 152% increase from 2006).
- More than 55,000 different people receive assistance from SHFBCF each week. 47% of those clients are children.
- 33% of households served have at least one working adult.
My son and I sampled the two IKEA healthy kid meal options and both are delicious and nutritious.
First up, is the Kids’ Grilled Chicken meal which consists of grilled chicken strips, carrots, strawberries and string cheese. My son loved this colorful option and as a mom, I love the fact there was nothing fried on his plate! This well-balanced meal comes it at 210 calories and is only $1.99 during the month of July.
The second healthy meal option is Kids’ Organic Pasta. The moose shaped organic pasta is not only fun, but it is tasty! The pasta is tossed in a light tomato sauce and served with yogurt and a lingonberry drink. The calorie count for this meal is 324 and the price is just $1.99 in July.
If customers do not have children (and won’t be purchasing a healthy kid’s meal) they still have the option to contribute by adding a dollar to their purchase in the restaurant, Swedish Food Market or Bistro.
So, there you have it…even MORE reasons to love IKEA!
Start planning your July playdates now! Meet your friends at IKEA, let the kids dine on these healthy (and inexpensive) meals so IKEA can help stop childhood hunger!
In addition to these new healthy meals, I want to remind my local friends just how family friendly our IKEA Orlando store is.
- Small breakfast served FREE weekdays between 9:30 and 10:00 am.
- Kids eat FREE every Tuesday.
- IKEA family members enjoy a FREE cup of coffee or tea in the Restaurant upstairs.
- Restrooms are family friendly AND contain FREE diapers.
- Family friendly parking is available near the store entrance.
- You can drop your children off in the secure and supervised Småland play area so you can shop while they have fun! Children must be between 37” – 54” and potty trained to enter Småland play area.
- The lobby has a television so children can watch kid friendly movies if they have to wait to enter Småland. Also, televisions are located throughout the store and always play children’s movies.
- Play towers are scattered throughout the store so your children can have fun while you shop.
*FTC disclosure: I received some awesome IKEA swag in exchange for my time learning more about the #IKEAFeedingTheFuture campaign. No additional compensation was received. All opinions are my own without influence. I truly love IKEA and appreciate what they are doing to help feed America!