by The Unemployed Mom on 18/02/12 at 8:02 pm
I was super excited about the “healthy comfort food dinners” theme for my final pork Good and Good For You Challenge. The Publix cut of pork on special this week is pork sirloin cutlets. The sale began on Thursday, February 16 and ends Wednesday, February 22.
My family LOVES Mexican food, so I was hoping to find a recipe that tied into our love for spicy food. I immediately went to Pork Be Inspired to search for some inspiration!
I was inspired by those two recipes, so I decided to customize my dinner based on their ingredients! I went to Publix and grabbed my pork sirloin cutlets and walked over to the fresh produce section. I immediately grabbed a few vegetables we love: various peppers, onions and tomatoes. Then, I selected a lime and fresh cilantro for salsa.
Fajitas and quesadillas are two favorites in my house, so I decided to go with something a little easier to stuff…Flat Out Rolls! I grabbed some Mexican cheese and all natural tortilla chips then made my way to the checkout area.
Here are my starting ingredients:
And here is my recipe!
Mexican Inspired Healthy Pork Sirloin Cutlet Fajitas:
1 lb of pork sirloin cutlets cleaned and cut into strips
1 fresh bell pepper (any color, feel free to mix color…I used red and green)
1 fresh jalapeño pepper
1 white onion
1 cup of tomatoes (I personally prefer cherry tomatoes for salsa)
1 bunch of fresh cilantro
Wheat tortillas or multi-grain Flat Out Rolls
Low fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Heat olive oil in 2 large skillets.
- Slice pork and fajita vegetables (bell peppers & white onions) into strips.
- Place pork in one skillet, vegetables in the other. Frequently stir pork and fajita vegetables to prevent burning.
- While both are sautéing, dice salsa vegetables (tomatoes, white onions, jalapeño peppers & cilantro). Squeeze a little lime juice on the salsa when finished and stir!
- My vegetables cooked faster than the pork, so I transferred them to a bowl. I wiped the skillet out, then used the same skillet to brown my Flat Out Roll.
- After browning/warming both sides of the Flat Out Roll, I placed 1/4 cup of shredded low-fat Mexican cheese on top. I let the cheese melt, then started adding the cooked fajita vegetables and pork. I then topped it with chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño peppers and fresh salsa.
Here are my fajitas before they became masterpieces…
I plated my pork fajitas with a small bowl of homemade fresh salsa and chips!
Here is one last photo, a close-up!
These were amazing! I never thought of using pork for fajitas or quesadillas, but I will going forward! This 4 week challenge has taught me how delicious and healthy pork is! There are so many recipes and ideas on the Pork Be Inspired website plus the folks at Publix have been extremely helpful with their knowledge!
Now it’s time for YOU to try some new dishes using pork! One lucky reader is going to win the following:
- 8 $5 pork coupons ($40 in total)
- Water bottle
- Reusable grocery bag
- Meat thermometer
- Recipe book
***MANDATORY ENTRY: visit Pork Be Inspired and tell me which pork recipe you want to try!***
If you’d like extra chances to win, do the following and leave a comment for each one.
- Like The Unemployed Mom, PorkBeInspired and Publix on Facebook.
- Follow @Unemployed_Mom, @AllAboutPork and Publix on Twitter.
- Tweet about this giveaway DAILY then share you tweet link in the comments below. You can copy and paste “I want to #win a $40 @AllAboutPork Prize Pack from @Unemployed_Mom including $40 in @Publix pork coupons #Publix4Pork”
- Subscribe to The Unemployed Mom by RSS or Email.
- Link to The Unemployed Mom blog (blog roll, facebook page, etc.).
- Leave a comment on any other blog post then let me know which one in the comments section (unlimited entries available).
RULES: Random.org will select a winner on February 24, 2012. Winner will be contacted via email and has 24 hours to respond. If no response is received, random.org will select another winner. Contest is open to U.S. residents!
* Disclosure: Thanks to The Motherhood and Publix, I received gift cards to purchase my recipe ingredients. I was also compensated for my time and efforts to share my experience. All opinions are 100% mine.