Before having a child of my own, I used to see parents doing things with their little ones and I’d laugh at them. I thought, I’d never do that as a parent. Well, guess what…reality hit and I do some of those exact things! Here are a few that came to mind.
- Riding on amusement park rides that are entirely too small just to hear my son squeal in delight. Yes, I do believe I saw a couple without children pointing and laughing at me!
- Staying with the theme of #1, riding boat rides with annoying songs that continue to play over and over in my head, even after the ride is over (e.g. It’s A Small World).
- Paying entirely too much money to see oversized fictional characters live on stage.
- Changing diapers in the back of my SUV because most public restroom diaper changers are just plain disgusting.
- Recycling a diaper. Enough said, if you want to read more then check out my previous blog on the topic.
- Dressing in similar clothing (or color coordinating outfits with my kid). Well, I have never dressed in an outfit to match my son but I am guilty of buying my son and husband similar Paul Frank Julius monkey shirts!
- Spit cleaning my son’s face if we do not have access to water or a baby wipe.
- Grooving to children’s tunes while driving. Remember, it’s only embarrassing if the driver sitting beside you at a stop light can hear it!
One thing I have realized since becoming a mom is that I will do whatever it takes to see a smile on my son’s face, even if it means making myself look silly. In a way, I have reverted back to my childhood and am living it all over again!
What have you bent the rules on since becoming a parent?