As my son turns one today, I am flooded with emotions. First and foremost, I cannot believe it has been a year since my little angel was born. I remember how nervous I was about becoming a mom and wondering if I was going to be any good at it. The moment he was placed on my chest, all the doubts and fears left my mind. At that very moment, the world as I knew it changed. My sole purpose in life was to take care of this little guy and nothing else really mattered.
Here are my top ten realizations since becoming a mom.
- Being a mom is the most rewarding job in the world. There is nothing like cradling your newborn and staring at him for hours. You will become overwhelmed with emotions because of the miracle you are holding in your arms. As your baby grows stronger, you will love the feeling of having his little arms wrapped tightly around your neck. You will thank God everyday for your blessing.
- Cherish every single second because babies do not stay babies very long. You cannot prepare yourself for how quickly baby grows up. One minute he depends on you for everything, then you blink your eyes and he is mobile. Take tons of photos and video footage because even though you swear you won’t forget how tiny he is, you will!
- Being a mom comes naturally. Don’t worry about not having all the answers or knowing what to do, being a mom comes naturally. Trust your instincts and have patience with baby and yourself. Also, lean on your loved ones for advice and/or help. Remember, you’re not the first person who has ever given birth.
- You will forgot what life was like prior to baby. Despite how exciting life may have been prior to your pregnancy, it cannot compare to your new life with baby. Although life as you knew it will never be the same, it will be fulfilled and renewed with your newest addition.
- You have a newfound respect for your parents. The moment you have a child of your own, you feel bad about being a jerk to your parents. You suddenly realize, appreciate and understand all the nagging they did was because they loved you.
- You’d give your life for your child. Without hesitation, you will do anything to make certain your baby is happy, healthy and safe at all times.
- You cannot wait to introduce your lifestyle to baby. Do not put your life on hold and make excuses because you have a baby, get out there and enjoy life. You and your baby will be much happier. As soon as possible, start getting baby acclimated to your lifestyle. If you traveled prior to baby’s arrival, get back into it very quickly. Although it is quite an adjustment, it is well worth it!
- Every single day is a learning experience for you and baby. As a parent, you will see the world through your baby’s eyes. Everything is an adventure and there is so much to explore. There is nothing more exhilarating than seeing your baby process a thought and understand something. It is at that very moment, you know you have succeeded as a parent.
- You will fall in love with your spouse all over again. Seeing your spouse adjust to his new role as daddy is just incredible. Words cannot define how your love grows, but it does. It is amazing to know that the two of you created this little blessing out of love.
- All the weight gain, stretch marks and saggy skin is worth it! Regardless of the misery you went through during 40 weeks of pregnancy, the pain of labor or the unrecognizable figure you have as a result of giving birth, your baby is well worth it!
This has been the best year of my life! Being laid off was a true blessing in disguise, I have been able to experience so many of my son’s firsts and I feel honored.
What have you learned in your first year with your son or daughter? Please share your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading The Unemployed Mom’s blog and be sure to check back often.